A Kenyan friend of Terry's inspired this East African twist on the everyday fruit smoothie. By blending a protein-packed ancient grain-like millet, you'll feel full and energized to take on the day. Yield: 2 generous servings or 4 smaller servings
Soundtrack: “Jambo Bwana” by Samba Salad from Kids World Party
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch of coarse sea salt
- 2 cups finely diced peeled peaches
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained well
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine the millet and 1 cup of the water in a small saucepan and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir in the salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Immediately decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Put 1½ cups of the peaches and the bananas, orange juice, cashews, dates, lime juice and the remaining 1 cup water in a blender and process until smooth.
- Scrape in the millet and any cooking liquid and puree until smooth.
- Serve garnished with the remaining peaches.