Aunt Laura’s French Toast with Fresh Berries
Makes 4 servings
Preparation Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
1 cup LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk
4 extra large eggs, slightly beaten*
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
8 slices french bread (½ inch in width)
non-stick cooking spray
sifted powdered sugar
4 tbsp. maple Syrup
1 sprig fresh mint (optional)
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup blackberries
¼ cup raspberries
1. COMBINE LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg in a wide bowl.
2. SOAK bread slices in mixture for about 1 minute per side.
3. SPRAY a frying pan with non-stick cooking spray to lightly coat.
4. PLACE soaked bread in pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.
5. ASSEMBLE French toast on serving platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Drizzle maple syrup on top. Garnish with a sprig of mint if desired.
6. COMBINE blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in a small bowl and serve with French toast.
*For a healthier option, replace 4 extra large eggs with 1 cup of egg substitute.
Nutrition Information per serving
Serving size: 2 slices and 3 tbsp. berries
Exchanges per serving
2 starches, 1 medium-fat meat
Total Calories 230
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
Dietary Fiber 1g