CHICKEN WITH BLACK-EYED PEAS AND YELLOW RICE RECIPE
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ pounds poultry seasoning
- one 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup uncooked yellow rice
- one 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 tablespoon, chopped fresh thyme
:: AD ::Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and chicken and cook until the chicken is browned on both sides, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the black-eyed peas and thyme. Cover and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Patti’s Pointers: You can find yellow rice (made with saffron) near the rice mixes in your grocery store. Look for a brand, such as Carolina, that combines the seasonings and the rice to make it easier to measure out the ¾ cup needed for this recipe. If the brand you buy comes with a separate seasoning packet, such as Goya, mix the seasonings with the rice in a separate bowl and measure out a ¾ cup.