Did you know that improving your health can be as easy as cutting out meat and processed cold cuts one day a week? Doing so can reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
Enter Meatless Monday. This week's recipe is Vegetable and Chickpea Curry. "Aromatic Indian spices infuse this vegetarian dish with an exotic blend of flavors while coconut milk creates a creamy finish," writes the Cooking Light website. They add, "Serve over quick-cooking couscous."
Vegetable and Chickpea Curry
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
* 3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
* 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
* 1 cup diced green bell pepper
* 1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth—low sodium
* 3 cups fresh baby spinach
* 1 cup light coconut milk
* 6 lemon wedges
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chile; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in chickpeas and next 8 ingredients (through broth). Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and coconut milk; stir until spinach wilts. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serving size 1 1/3 cups
Nutrition info: 276 calories, 7 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 623 mg sodium, 44 g total carbs, 11 g dietary fiber and 11 g protein.BET Health News - We go beyond the music and entertainment world to bring you important medical information and health-related tips of special relevance to Blacks in the U.S. and around the world.
(Photo: Courtesy meatlessmonday.com)