Icons typically continue to generate income well after their deaths, but Michael Jackson's taking things to new heights.
Making his Forbes List debut, MJ generated $275 million this past year, more money than any other living star, minus Oprah, and out-earned every celebrity on the Top Earning Dead Celebrity list.
Elvis Presley still makes loads of money 33 years after his death. He comes in at no. 2 with $60 million. "Lord of the Rings" author J.R.R. Tolkien raked in $50 million, largely due to a two-movie adaptation of his book, "The Hobbit" going into production. Cartoonist Charles Schulz ranked fourth with $33 million and Beatles frontman John Lennon came in at no. 5 with $17 million. See the full list below.
1. Michael Jackson $275 million
2. Elvis Presley $60 million
3. J.R.R. Tolkien $33 million
4. Charles Schulz $50 million
5. John Lennon $17 million
6. Stieg Larsson $15 million
7. Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) $11 million
8. Albert Einstein $10 million
9. George Steinbrenner $8 million
10. Richard Rodgers $7 million
11. Jimi Hendrix $6 million
12. Steve McQueen $6 million