After finding herself in some hot water over a $1 million payday earned by performing for embattled Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi's son in 2009, Beyoncé says the money she received was long ago donated to a Haitian charity.
"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts for Haiti over a year ago," said B's publicist.
A week ago, the radical transparency website WikiLeaks released documents showing that Beyoncé, Usher, Mariah Carey, 50 Cent and Nelly Furtado had performed at lavish parties thrown by Moammar Gadhafi, including his annual New Year's Eve bash at the Caribbean island of St. Barts.
Since then the artists have been under increasing pressure to return the funds. On Monday, Nelly Furtado said on Twitter that her proceeds would be donated as well. In a statement to People this afternoon, Mariah Carey said the following:
"I was naïve and unaware of who I was booked to perform for. I feel horrible and embarrassed to have participated in this mess. Going forward, this is a lesson for all artists to learn from. We need to be more aware and take more responsibility regardless of who books our shows. Ultimately, we as artists are to be held accountable."
Gadhafi is currently being investigated for countless crimes committed during his 40-year dictatorship of Libya. In recent weeks, his government has been attempting to subdue a people's revolution using violent and lethal force.
Image: Larry Busacca/Getty Images