Big Sean Arraigned on Sex Assault Charges

The prosecutor attempted to impose a gag order on the sensitive case.

Posted: 09/07/2011 11:57 AM EDT
Filed Under Big Sean

Big Sean returned to Lewiston, New York, yesterday for his arraignment on charges that he and a friend sexually assaulted a 17-year-old fan after a concert.

As previously reported, the 23-year-old Detroit MC, born Sean Michael Leonard Anderson, and friend Willie Antonio Hansbro, also 23 and from Detroit, were each charged by State Park Police in upstate New York on August 4 with third-degree sexual abuse, forcible touching and second-degree unlawful imprisonment. Both were released shortly after paying $500 bail each. Big Sean had performed earlier that night with Wiz Khalifa for their nationwide Rolling Papers tour.

On Tuesday at Lewiston Town Court, a sharp-dressed Sean was circled by an entourage of family members and attorneys, Buffalo News reported. He was represented by Scott E. Leemon, a New York City criminal defense lawyer known for defending hip hop artists.

Deputy District Attorney Holly E. Sloma said in court that a grand jury had already been scheduled, and if the rapper is indicted the case would automatically be transferred to Niagara County Court. Sloma also asked Judge Hugh C. Gee Sr. to impose a gag order due to the age of the victim and the case's sensitive nature.

Buffalo lawyer Mark J. Mahoney, who reps Hansbro, objected to a gag order, citing the First Amendment. “It’s not that we want to try the case in the media,” Mahoney said.


Gee said that he would allow the District Attorney’s office to file a request for a gag order, and he also scheduled a return court date for Oct. 11.

Big Sean and his attorney had no comment.

(Photo: Michael Uderwood/PictureGroup)

From Our Partners

Related Topics