Despite being convicted of second-degree murder two days ago, G. Dep is in good spirits. In an exclusive interview with MTV News today (April 19) the hard luck rapper spoke about being unfazed by the jury’s decision and prepared to handle whatever came his way as he awaits sentencing.
"However it went down, it was just one of them things where I knew I was facing some type of charge, so whatever the verdict was, I knew it was God's will," Dep told MTV by phone from behind bars.
As previously reported the former Bad Boy Records rapper who rose to fame in the early 2000s as a protégé to Sean “Diddy” Combs was found guilty of murdering John Henkel, 32, during a botched robbery attempt in 1993. It was Dep, born Trevell Coleman, who walked into a New York City police station and confessed to the crime in 2010.
Asked by MTV whether he was satisfied with the verdict, Dep expressed that he had no malice towards the jury that convicted him of a crime that comes with a prison sentence of 15 years to life.
“You know, someone was taken from [the Henkel] family, so I can't feel like I was robbed in any kind of way," he said. "I just want to thank everyone that was involved in the case. I don't have no ill thoughts towards anybody.”
As he awaits sentencing on May 8, the 37-year-old plans to deal with the circumstances and hope for an opportunity to see his rap fans later.
"I'ma just stay strong and hopefully I'll see y'all in the near future or the far future," Dep said when asked how he feels about the impending jail time. "I know life goes on, praise God. And one day maybe I could say hello to y'all again."
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.