Fight tentatively scheduled to continue without DMX.
On the heels of promoter Damon Feldman canceling 30-year-old Zimmerman's bout against 43-year-old DMX, another promoter by the name of Alki David now claims he will spearhead a new match at a secret location, March 15. David, who owns the video streaming site FilmOn.com, told TMZ that X won't be involved because "much bigger names" are lined up to fight.
Compton rapper Game previously expressed interest in beating "the f***" out of Zimmerman. On Friday (Feb. 7) the West Coast rapper responded to allegations that he jumped ship over money issues telling BET.com, "I've never asked for a dime. I'd whoop George Zimmerman’s a** for free. Or, pay anyone I could to have a round."
Aside from another potential rap opponent, the new brawl will fall more along the lines of a Brad Pitt movie, and will not be billed as a "celebrity" boxing match. "This is going to be like Fight Club... a very bloody event," David said.
There is one big obstacle standing in David's way, however. He is still negotiating with Feldman to obtain rights to the fight, and nothing has been signed as of yet. Meanwhile, Feldman is planning to hold a press conference about the ill-fated boxing match tomorrow (Feb. 11). Death threats against Feldman's family reportedly drove his decision to nix the match altogether.
Proceeds from the new fight will go to support the Trayvon Martin Foundation, an organization founded in memory of the teen shooting victim gunned down by Zimmerman in February 2012. Last July, a Florida jury found Zimmerman not guilty for Martin's murder.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photos from left: Larry Busacca/Getty Images, Joe Burbank-Pool/Getty Images)