As part of the forthcoming Nina Simone documentary What Happened to Nina Simone?, debuting on Netflix June 26, Lauryn Hill and several other artists tribute the late singer-songwriter on a new compilation.
Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone won’t be released until July 10, but on Wednesday, RCA released Hill's cover of "Feeling Good" from Simone’s 1964 album, I Put a Spell on You.
Hill's rendition will give you goosebumps. She easily commandeers the music with her own vocal style while still paying homage to Simone’s bluesy bravado.
In addition to covering six of Simone’s songs, Hill co-produced the compilation with Gregory Porter. She originally wanted to record just two records. "Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice,” Hill said in a statement. “Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift."
Usher, Mary J. Blige, Jazmine Sullivan, Common, Lalah Hathaway, Alice Smith and Simone’s daughter Lisa Simone are also featured on Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone (be sure to check out the full track list below).
Click here for “Feeling Good.”
Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone:
1. Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro) - Lisa Simone
2. Feeling Good - Ms. Lauryn Hill
3. I've Got Life - Ms. Lauryn Hill
4. Ne Me Quitte Pas - Ms. Lauryn Hill
5. Baltimore - Jazmine Sullivan
6. Love Me or Leave Me - Grace
7. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Usher
8. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Mary J. Blige
9. Sinnerman - Gregory Porter
10. YG&B - Common & Lalah Hathaway:
11. I Put a Spell On You - Alice Smith
12. I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl - Lisa Simone
13. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair - Ms. Lauryn Hill
14. Wild Is the Wind - Ms. Lauryn Hill
15. African Mailman - Ms. Lauryn Hill
16. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free - Nina Simone
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.