#DeEscalateDontKill

Roland Martin to Exit CNN in April

Roland Martin to Exit CNN in April

Roland Martin attributes his April departure to new boss Jeff Zucker's desire to build a new team.

Published March 19, 2013

Longtime CNN contributor Roland Martin has been given his walking papers. His last day will be April 6, he announced via Twitter Tuesday morning.

When a follower asked why, Martin tweeted that his "new boss wants his own peeps."

He was referring to new CNN chief Jeff Zucker. In the past few months, Zucker has let go of several longtime and high-profile contributors, including James Carville and Mary Matlan. He also canceled Starting Point, a program hosted by Soledad O'Brien on which Martin frequently appeared.

In a statement to Politico, Martin said being out at CNN is by no means the end of the road for him.

"I've worked hard to ensure that my voice wasn't heard in one place. I will continue with my show on TV One, a network I was with before CNN; will continue my daily segment on the Tom Joyner Morning Show; and will continue my nationally syndicated column," he said.

Martin, who has been at the network since 2007, was suspended early last year for tweets sent during the Super Bowl game that were considered by GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) and others to be homophobic.

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.  

Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop DoggR. Kelly, Erykah BaduKendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets.

(Photo: Prince Williams/FilmMagic)

Written by Joyce Jones

COMMENTS

Latest in news