This Day in Black History: Aug. 12, 1922

Frederick Douglass’ home became a museum.

Posted: 08/12/2014 12:00 AM EDT

The Washington, D.C., home of the abolitionist Frederick Douglass became a dedicated national museum on Aug. 12, 1922.

In 1878, Douglass moved into the house, which he named Cedar Hill, with his wife, Anna Murray Douglass. After his death on Feb. 20, 1895, his widow founded the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association. In 1916, the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association jointly owned the house with the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs until 1962, when the federal government took the deed to the house with the intent of restoring it.

Among the preserved sites at the Frederick Douglass museum is his “Growlery.” It was a secluded room with a stove, bed and desk where Douglass sometimes retreated to his work and writing. 

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.  

(Photo: UPI/Alexis C. Glenn/Landov)

Videos You May Like