3-Year-Old Wounded in Chicago Park Shooting Released From Hospital

Deonta Howard will need surgery for the next 15 to 20 years.

Posted: 09/26/2013 09:17 AM EDT
3-Year-Old Wounded in Chicago Park Shooting Released From Hospital

Deonta Howard, 3, who was struck in the face with a bullet in a Chicago park shooting last week, was released from the hospital Wednesday night. He will need surgery for the next 15 to 20 years to correct damage from his wound, according to CNN

The toddler was the youngest person shot Thursday night in Cornell Square Park, which left 13 people wounded. Deonta's mother, Shamarah Leggett, says he is more afraid of the dark and does not want to go back to the scene of the shooting.

"He thinks he’s going to get shot in the park. That’s all he keeps saying, he’s going to get shot in the park. I don’t want to go back to the park. That man, he was in the park with a gun,” Leggett said, according to CBS Chicago.

Tabari Young, 22, Brad Jett, 22, Bryon “Lord” Champ, 21, and Kewane Gatewood, 20, have been charged with three counts of attempted murder and three counts of attempted battery in the incident.

Leggett is calling for an end to the violence. “This is the wrong way to go. Especially to shoot up a park where you know kids hang out and play. Kids don’t even feel safe in the park no more.”


BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: AP Photo/Family photo via Rev. Corey Brooks)


From Our Partners