The jury asked for a lesser charge to be filed against Randall Kerrick.
(Photo: Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office)
A grand jury declined to indict Randall Kerrick Tuesday evening on charges of voluntary manslaughter in the September 2013 shooting death of Jonathan A. Ferrell in Charlotte, North Carolina. The jury asked for a lesser charge to be submitted for indictment, according to WBTV.
The lawyer representing the Ferrell family says they are "disappointed" and "devastated" about the decision. "They were looking forward to today as being a day justice can finally start to be delivered to them. Today was a major disappointment," the lawyer said according to WBTV.
Earlier this month, the family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the North Carolina police officer who shot him. The city of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the city's police department are also being sued, according to a court document.
Officer Kerrick opened fire on the 24-year-old, an African-American, who was struck 10 times by bullets and died at the scene. Police say Ferrell, who was unarmed, ran toward them when they arrived.
The former FAMU football player was knocking on doors of the upscale Bradfield Farms community near Charlotte and seeking help after his car crashed. One frantic homeowner who thought Ferrell was a threat had called 911.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Follow Natelege Whaley on Twitter: @Natelege.