News Outlets Might Have to Pay For Video of Walter Scott Shooting

News Outlets Might Have to Pay For Video of Walter Scott Shooting

Publicist representing man who recorded fatal incident puts $10,000 price tag on footage.

Published April 18, 2015

A publicist representing the man who captured Walter Scott’s fatal shooting has put a $10,000 price tag on the footage, reports the New York Times. Markson Sparks, an Australia-based publicity and management company sent out cease and desist letters to media outlets around the world this week, announcing the new fee to run the video.

| BET WIRE: POLITICIANS WEIGH IN ON WALTER SCOTT SHOOTING |

Feiden Santana recorded as an unarmed Scott was gunned down by South Carolina police officer Michael T. Slager. He later turned the footage over to Scott’s family, which led to Slager’s arrest for murder earlier in the month. 

Santana says he was not fully aware that Markson Sparks was charging for the video, but recalled a conversation about it with his lawyer, Todd Rutherford. The video has been viewed more than a million times, and while initially accessible via the “fair use” clause, that time period has since passed. The media is now in “search for revenue,” Rutherford said, arguing that Santana deserves payment for footage that outlets are financially benefiting from. 

“I think that the people who might be put off by this are the media outlets that had it for free. Now they will have to pay.” added Markson Sparks CEO, Max Markson.

Though Markson isn't offering a flat rate, an anonymous source confirmed that media outlets are being charged a one-time $10,000 fee.  

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: AP Photo/North Charleston Police Department)

Written by Latifah Muhammad

COMMENTS

Latest in news