Prosecutor Upgrades Charge Against Zimmerman's Shooter

Prosecutor Upgrades Charge Against Zimmerman's Shooter

Matthew Apperson faces an attempted second-degree murder charge.

Published June 18, 2015

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A man accused of shooting at George Zimmerman now faces an attempted murder charge.

A prosecutor on Thursday upgraded the charges against Matthew Apperson to attempted second-degree murder. Apperson earlier had been charged with aggravated assault and battery for firing a gun into Zimmerman's car during a traffic run-in last month. Zimmerman had minor injuries.

| CLICK TO SEE GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S RUN-INS WITH THE LAW |

State Attorney Phil Archer said in a statement that people ought to be able to travel the streets without fear.

Prosecutors contend Apperson had a fixation on Zimmerman.

A jury acquitted Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin two years ago. The case sparked protests and a national debate about race relations.

Apperson's attorney, Michael LaFay, said he couldn't comment since he hadn't yet received a copy of the new charge.

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.

(Photo: Ricardo Ramirez Buxeda/Orlando Sentinel/TNS/LANDOV)

Written by Mike Schneider, Associated Press

COMMENTS

Latest in news