Horror Story: This Man's Camping Trip Turned Into a True Nightmare

Horror Story: This Man's Camping Trip Turned Into a True Nightmare

Colin Nathaniel Scott, 23, was literally boiled alive before he died.

Published June 9th

The National Parks are a place to witness America's natural beauty. Sometimes, however, that beauty bites back. In a tragic story out of Yellowstone National Park in Montana, 23-year-old Colin Nathaniel Scott has died after tripping and falling into a highly acidic hot spring on Tuesday. 

Park Officials and observers said that this tragic incident is a reminder that while national parks often feel safe for visitors, visitors need to follow park rules to maintain that safety. Witnesses remarked that they had seen Scott stray about 200 feet off of the designated wooden boardwalk that border the hot springs before falling in.

"This tragic event must remind all of us to follow the regulations and stay on boardwalks," Yellowstone Superintendent Dan Wenk said.

Recovery efforts were called off Wednesday after authorities said there were no more remains of Scott's body to recover from the spring that exceeded 400 degrees. Park spokeswoman Charissa Reid explained, "They were able to recover a few personal effects [but] there were no remains left to recover."

The Yellowstone basin, where the incident occurred is one of the most popular attractions in the park, playing host to a record 4.1 million visitors last year. Sadly, Nathanial is one of 22 other people known to have died from hot-spring related injuries in Yellowstone since 1890.

Written by Evelyn Diaz

(Photo: AP Photo/Beth Harpaz, File)

COMMENTS

Latest in news