“BET & General Mills Box Tops for Education® 10 Under 35 Contest”
OFFICIAL RULES – Revised 10/25/12
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (EXCLUDING PUERTO RICO, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, AND OTHER COMMONWEALTHS, TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS), 21 YEARS OR OLDER AT TIME OF ENTRY BUT UNDER 35 YEARS OF AGE AS OF JANUARY 1, 2013.
1. ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY: This BET & General Mills Box Tops for Education 10 Under 35 Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and other commonwealths, territories and possessions), 21 YEARS OR OLDER as of September 11, 2012 but under the age of 35 YEARS OF AGE as of January 1, 2013 (“Entrant”). Employees, and their immediate families (spouses, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses), including household members of Black Entertainment Television LLC and General Mills Sales Inc. (collectively the “Sponsors”), and Zenith Optimedia, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, advertising and promotion agencies (together with the Sponsors, referred to collectively herein as the “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to enter. This Contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws. By entering this Contest, each Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, employees, officers, directors, representatives, and advertising and promotion agencies from any injury, loss, death, damage, action, claim, demand or other liability that may occur from Entrant’s participation in this Contest or from the acceptance or use of any prize awarded, or attendance at any event. Sponsors reserve the right to verify eligibility qualifications of any winner. U.S. law governs this Contest. By entering, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
SCHOOL’S ELIGIBILITY: Entrant’s chosen school must be enrolled in the General Mills Box Tops for Education Program (the “BTFE Program”) for the 2012-2013 academic school year prior to submitting an entry. If Entrant’s school is not enrolled in the BTFE Program, call 1-888-799-2444 to enroll or see www.boxtops4education.com for more details about the BTFE Program. Each school that participates in the BTFE Program (a “BTFE-Eligible School”) may earn up to, but not more than, Twenty Thousand Dollars ($20,000.00) cash per year (beginning on March 2 of every year) from clipping Box Tops. There are no maximum annual earning limits for schools for eBoxTops® credits or Bonus Box Tops®. However, individual programs may have independent consumer earning limits based on transactions or activities. If Entrant’s chosen school has already received the maximum amount permitted under the BTFE Program in the year in which the BTFE Prize (defined in Section 5 below) is to be awarded, the Entrant must select an alternative BTFE-Eligible School to receive the BTFE Prize. Payments to BTFE-Eligible Schools are to be made according to the BTFE Program requirements which may be viewed at www.boxtops4education.com. BTFE-Eligible School is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use, if applicable.
2. HOW TO ENTER: LIMIT: ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON. ENTRANT’S DESIGNATED SCHOOL MUST BE ENROLLED IN THE BTFE PROGRAM PRIOR TO ENTERING. This Contest begins at 6:00 p.m. EDT September 11, 2012 and ends at 6:00 p.m. EDT November 1, 2012 (the “Entry Period”) and consists of three (3) phases:
Phase 1: During the Entry Period, log on to www.bet.com/10under35 (the “Contest Website”), and upload to the Contest Website a video of a minimum of three minutes (3:00) to a maximum of five minutes (5:00) in length (the “Video”) with the following information: (i) name and how you’re best known in the community, (ii) description of yourself and (iii) how you are making a difference in the lives of K-8 students in your community. The Video should be about you and your contributions, not about Box Tops for Education® or any of the BTFE Program’s participating brands listed at http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/clip/Brands.aspx?WT.ac=UHP_PartProducts. Video must be received by 11:59 p.m. EDT November 1, 2012 and must adhere to the following requirements to be eligible:
a. Must be a minimum of three minutes (3:00) to a of maximum of five minutes (5:00) in length, presented in a FLV, MOV, WMV, ASF, AVI, 3GP, MPG, MPEG, or MP4 format and must be in English;
b. May not contain any content that is lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, obscene, or that otherwise contains inappropriate content or objectionable material as determined by Sponsors in their sole and unfettered discretion;
c. Must be the Entrant’s original work, created solely by the Entrant, and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other intellectual rights of any person or entity;
d. Must feature Entrant only, no other persons;
e. Must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than the Entrant. Should the Entrant include personally identifiable information about him/herself in his/her Video, Entrant acknowledges and agrees that such information will be disclosed publicly and Entrant is solely responsible for any consequences thereof;
f. Entrant may not be, nor may Entrant work with parties in conjunction with their Video, who: 1) are represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair Sponsors’ ability to display the Video in any media form; 2) have an acting or modeling contract that would make their appearance in the Video a violation of any third party rights; or 3) are under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this Contest, or from allowing Sponsors to use royalty-free, the Video worldwide in all media in perpetuity;
g. May not have been previously published and may not have won previous awards;
h. Must not contain any background music or third party materials, names or trademarks; and
i. Must be about you and your contributions to education and your impact on the lives of K-8 students and your community; not about Box Tops for Education® or any of the BTFE Program’s participating brands listed at http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/clip/Brands.aspx?WT.ac=UHP_PartProducts.
Phase 2: On or about November 2, 2012, Sponsors will select ten (10) potential finalists (the “Finalists”) from among all eligible Videos received based on creativity, overall storytelling, and the impact being made in education.
Phase 3: The Finalists’ Videos will be posted on the Contest Website during the period from November 9 through November 30, 2012 (“Public Voting Period”) to allow Contest Website users to vote for their favorite Finalist. Limit: Each person/email address may vote one (1) time per day during the Public Voting Period. Multiple votes received from any person/email address will be void. Finalists are prohibited from obtaining votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. The Finalist with the highest number of valid votes during the Public Voting Period will be deemed the potential grand prize winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) on or about December 1, 2012. In the event of a tie, a group of judges selected in Sponsors’ sole discretion will select the potential Grand Prize Winner based on the highest score for creativity.
3. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Sponsors assume no responsibility for any computer, technical, telephone, cable, network, satellite, electronic or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability, or garbled or jumbled transmissions, or service provider/Internet/website/use net accessibility or availability, traffic congestion, or unauthorized human intervention. Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest in whole or in part by posting such notice on the Contest Website, in any form and manner deemed appropriate by Sponsors. Should the Contest be modified, suspended, or terminated as aforesaid, prizes will be awarded from all eligible entries received prior to such event and in accordance with these Official Rules. Sponsors are not responsible or liable for lost, stolen, mutilated, incomplete, incorrect, delayed, late, interrupted illegible or misdirected entries. All entries become the property of Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize Winner’s designated BTFE-Eligible School will receive one hundred thousand (100,000) Box Tops (the “BTFE Prize”). Actual retail value $10,000.00. The BTFE Prize does not include any other payments or cover any other expenses not specifically listed herein. The BTFE-Eligible School designated by the Grand Prize Winner will be responsible for any and all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt.
One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a One Thousand Dollar ($1,000.00) check plus a trip for two (2) to Atlanta, GA to attend the Box Tops for Education Town Hall Event (“Town Hall Event”) tentatively scheduled to be held during the week of January 20, 2013 (collectively, the “Trip Package”). The Trip Package includes (i) round trip coach class airfare from the major airport nearest the Grand Prize Winner’s residence (as determined by the Sponsors) to the major airport nearest Atlanta, GA, (ii) two (2) nights standard hotel accommodations of Sponsors’ choice (single/double room occupancy, room and tax only), and (iii) round trip ground transportation while in Atlanta between the airport, hotel and the BTFE Town Hall Event (collectively, the “Grand Prize”). Approximate Retail Value: $3,500.00. Actual value of may vary based on point of departure. Any difference between stated value and actual value will not be awarded. If the Grand Prize Winner resides within a 100-mile radius of Atlanta, GA, ground transportation will be provided in lieu of air transportation and no compensation or substitution will be provided in lieu thereof. Trip Package must be taken during the week of January 20, 2013 or prize will be forfeited and Sponsors will have no further obligation to the Grand Prize Winner. Sponsors reserve the right to change the date of the Town Hall Event in their sole discretion, and should such a change be required, will rebook all travel arrangements and notify the Grand Prize Winner of all relevant changes to the Trip Package.
The Grand Prize Winner and his/her guest must travel together on the same itinerary. Guest must be of legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence, unless guest is the child or legal ward of the Grand Prize Winner. Travel must be made through Sponsors’ agent, on a carrier of Sponsors’ choice. Exact travel times and arrangements are subject to availability and blackout periods. Sponsors are not responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitutions, or any act or omission whatsoever with respect to the Trip Package. Except as indicated in the Trip Package, all meals, taxes, gratuities, travel insurance, bag check fees, parking fees, laundry service, food, alcoholic beverages, incidentals (including mini-bar), phone charges, merchandise, souvenirs and other expenses not specifically identified in these Official Rules are solely the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner and his/her guest. The Grand Prize Winner and his/her guest must comply with all hotel check-in requirements, including, but not limited to, the presentation of a major credit card. Unused components of the Trip Package have no redeemable cash value. All airline tickets issued in connection with the Trip Package are not eligible for frequent flyer miles, upgrades, and cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or offer.
No changes will be made to travel details once any element(s) of the travel arrangements have been booked, except at Sponsors’ sole discretion. Lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates or similar items, once they are in Grand Prize Winner’s possession, will not be replaced. Travel is subject to capacity controls, availability, blackout dates and certain other restrictions, all of which are subject to change. Any unclaimed and/or unused Trip Package or element thereof will be forfeited by the Grand Prize Winner and will remain the property of Sponsors. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any flight. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules and those set forth by Sponsors’ air travel prize supplier, as detailed in the passenger ticket contract issued by such supplier. In the event the Grand Prize Winner and/or his/her guest engage in behavior that (as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion) is obnoxious or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, Sponsors reserve the right to terminate the Trip Package or other applicable experience early, in whole or in part, and send Grand Prize Winner and/or his/her guest home with no further compensation.
Each of the non-winning Finalists may designate one (1) BTFE Eligible school to receive five thousand (5,000) Box Tops. Actual retail value $500.00.
In the event that the Grand Prize Winner chooses not to accept his/her prize, or is unable to be notified, the Finalist with the next highest number of votes will be deemed the potential Grand Prize Winner. No transfer, substitution, or cash equivalent for any prize is allowed except at Sponsors’ sole discretion. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion, to substitute a prize or prize component with a prize of equal or greater value. Prize is non-transferable and may not be given, bartered, substituted, sold, or exchanged for cash or another prize.
6. DETERMINATION OF WINNER: Ten (10) potential Finalists will be selected by Sponsors on or about November 2, 2012 from among all eligible Videos received based on creativity, overall storytelling, and the impact being made in education. The Finalists’ Videos will be posted on the Contest Website during the Public Voting Period so that Contest Website users may vote for their favorite Finalist. The Finalist with the highest number of valid votes during the Public Voting Period will be deemed the potential Grand Prize Winner, along with his/her designated BTFE-Eligible School, on or about December 1, 2012. Non-winning Finalists will be selected on or about December 1, 2012. In the event of a tie, a group of judges selected in Sponsors’ sole discretion will select the potential Grand Prize Winner based on the highest score for creativity. Sponsors will notify the potential Finalists by phone and/or e-mail on or about November 3, 2012. Sponsors reserve the right to select fewer than ten (10) Finalists, if, in their sole discretion, they do not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Essays. The selection process shall be conducted under the supervision of Sponsors. Sponsors shall choose the Finalists in their sole discretion and their decision is final and binding. Sponsors will notify the potential winners by phone and/or e-mail.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: The potential Finalists and Winner will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Liability and Publicity Release and any other documents sent by Sponsors within seven (7) days of notification. Failure to return the documents as specified, or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable will result in the entry being disqualified, and an alternate potential Finalist may be selected. Where permitted by law, the Finalists agree to grant to Sponsors and Sponsors’ licensees, affiliates and assigns, the right to print, publish, broadcast and use, worldwide, in any media now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the world wide web, at any time or times, the Finalists’ Essay, name, picture, voice, likeness and biographical information as news or information and for advertising and promotional purposes without additional consideration; and further without such additional compensation, appear for, or provide biographical information for use in, any presentation or other activity which may include filming/audio/video/electronic or other recordings and/or interviews as may be determined by Sponsors. Failure to make such appearances or grant such rights may result in disqualification and an alternate Finalist or winner may be selected; and while not obligated to do so, Sponsors may in their sole discretion, bear such reasonable costs and expenses which Sponsors, in their sole discretion, deem appropriate for the Finalists and winner to appear for a presentation or other activity. Further, by accepting the Prize, the winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsors, their parent, subsidiaries, licensees, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and their respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss, or damage of any kind to person, including death, and property arising whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, participation in any Contest related activity, or participation in this Contest. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. IN NO EVENT WILL THE CONTEST ENTITIES, THEIR PARENTS, SUBSIDIARY, LICENSEES, AND OR AFFILIATES AND RELATED COMPANIES, THEIR SPONSORS, ADVERTISING OR PROMOTION AGENCIES OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS, BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO USE OF INTERNET SITE www.BET.COM OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS, FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual they find, in their sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Contest Website; to be in violation of the Terms of Service of the Sponsors’ web site, to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any use of robotic, automatic, macro, programmed, or like entry methods will void all such entries by such methods.
8. DISPUTES: As a condition of participating in this Contest, Entrant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively, before a court located in the State of New York having competent jurisdiction, which Court shall apply the laws of the State of New York without regard for doctrines of Conflict of Law. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorney’s fees, other than Entrant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering this Contest), and Entrant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
9. WINNER’S LIST: For the name of the winners, available after [insert], mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to: “BET & General Mills Box Tops for Education 10 Under 35 Contest” to Black Entertainment Television LLC, One BET Plaza, 1235 “W” Street, NE, Washington, D.C. 20018. Washington and Vermont residents may omit return postage when requesting list of prize winners.
10. SPONSORS: Black Entertainment Television LLC, One BET Plaza, 1235 “W” Street, NE, Washington, D.C. 20018 and General Mills, Number One General Mills Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55426.
TRENDING IN NEWS