Prentiss Institute opened in 1907 in Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi. Students initially paid for their education with eggs, chicken and produce, according to records. Heifer International partnered with the private two-year college in 1955, providing poor families with livestock to supplement their farm income. The school’s decline and eventual closure in 1989 has been attributed to a gradual decline in admissions.
(Photo: Jennifer Baughn/ Courtesy Mississippi Department of Archives and History)