Simpson: I Only Took What Belonged To Me

Simpson: I Only Took What Belonged To Me

Published February 11, 2008

Posted Sept. 14, 2007 –  Not everything that happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas –  at least not for O.J. Simpson.

Police in Las Vegas pulled the former NFL running back in for questioning after he was accused in a casino heist, KVBC-TV in Las Vegas reports. They say a room at Palace Station Casino, where sports memorabilia is kept, was robbed.  Simpson tells The Associated Press that he didn't break into the room, but he did take memorabilia that belonged to him.

:: AD ::

Simpson says auction house owner Tom Riccio called him several weeks ago to let him know that some collectors had a lot of his stuff, and they didn't want anyone to know they were selling it, AP reports.

Simpson, who was in Vegas for one of his friend's wedding, says he set up a meeting with Riccio at the hotel and conducted a "sting operation."

"Everybody knows this is stolen stuff," Simpson tells AP. "Not only wasn't there a break-in, but Riccio came to the lobby and escorted us up to the room. In any event, it's stolen stuff that's mine. Nobody was roughed up.  What I can't understand is these guys are in a room trying to fence stolen goods and I'm the story."

Simpson has not been arrested in the crime,  but CNN reports he is considered an alleged suspect in an alleged theft. He was released and is cooperating with the investigation.

Las Vegas Metro Police Captain James Dillon said this week's confrontation was reported as an armed robbery involving guns.

He said no weapons had been recovered and the investigation was in its "infancy".

 :: NEW PAGE ::

In 1994, Simpson was acquitted in the June slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman. He has maintained his innocence over the killings.

His controversial book "If I Did It", in which he writes of how me might have killed Nicole and Goldman, goes on sale this weekend. More than 100,000 copies have already been ordered.

The rights to the book, which was initially protested by the Goldmans, were given to the Goldman family to settle a more than $30 million judgment in a wrongful-death judgment against Simpson.

Appearing on The Oprah Winfrey show Thursday, Fred Goldman said that he quickly came to see the benefit of releasing the book.

"I didn't want to see [Simpson] profit one penny from butchering Ron, murdering Nicole. I perceived potentially as well that it could have been what has been called a 'manual for murder,' " he said of his initial reaction to the book.

"After reading the book, [we] learned it was not a manual for murder. Absolutely not. We view it as a confession...This isn't an innocent man writing a book like this. An innocent man doesn't write a book of how hypothetically he would decapitate the mother of his children."

Goldman told Oprah that the book is the only form of justice that he and his family are able to attain through the civil court.

"Denying the profits are tantamount to blood money. And that piece of paper is meaningless unless we pursue that judgment. We took away the opportunity from him to earn additional money, and that money is the only form of justice."

Oprah, who calls the book despicable, says she's all for it being published, but she has no plans to buy it.

Written by BET-Staff

COMMENTS

Latest in news