BET Experience 2017!

UN Group Arrives in Guinea to Investigate Killings

UN Group Arrives in Guinea to Investigate Killings

Published November 27, 2009

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) -- A United Nations human rights official says a three-member U.N. commission has arrived in this West African nation to investigate the September massacre in which troops fatally shot pro-democracy demonstrators and raped women in broad daylight.

Sonia Muller-Rappard said the all-African commission arrived in Conakry on Wednesday. The group was appointed by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon last month to determine who was responsible for the massacre.

A peaceful pro-democracy rally in the West African country on Sept. 28 took a violent turn when presidential guard troops opened fire on tens of thousands of demonstrators. A Guinean human rights group says 157 people were killed. The government put the death toll at 57.

Written by <P>By Associated Press</P>

COMMENTS

Latest in news

BET AWARDS 2017

SUN, JUNE 25 8P/7C

HOSTED BY LESLIE JONES

LIVE
0

days

00HRS
00MIN
00SEC