Suspect in Holocaust Museum Shooting Dies

Suspect in Holocaust Museum Shooting Dies

Published January 7, 2010

An 89-year-old, self-avowed White supremacist who shot to death a security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in June, died Wednesday at a North Carolina hospital.

James von Brunn, who had denied that the Holocaust occurred and ran an anti-Jewish Web site called "The Holy Western Empire," was indicted by a federal grand jury on murder charges in the death of Stephen Tyrone Johns, a Black six-year veteran of the museum's security staff.

Rewind: Gunman Shoots Guard at Holocaust Museum

Four of the seven counts on which von Brunn was indicted could have resulted in his execution if he had been convicted for the June 10 shooting. Museum security officers returned fire and shot him, and he was hospitalized.

"He was just very sick," his public defender, A.J. Kramer, told CNN. "It is a sad end to a very sad occurrence."

During a hearing in July to determine von Brunn’s mental competency to stand trial, he told U.S. District Judge Reginald Walton from his wheelchair, "Your Constitution guarantees me a speedy and fair trial."

He was ordered to undergo psychiatric testing – against his will. As von Brunn’s condition worsened, he was transferred from the federal penitentiary in Butner, N.C., to an undisclosed location.

Von Brunn’s cause of death wasn't immediately known, according to CNN.

Written by <P>By BET.com Staff</P>

COMMENTS

Latest in news