Feds Won't Pursue NYPD Shooting of Man in 2006

Published February 16, 2010

NEW YORK – There will be no federal civil rights case in the New York City police shooting of Sean Bell.

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn had been reviewing the shooting of the 23-year-Bell, who was gunned down outside a Queens strip club on his wedding day in 2006. Four police officers were acquitted of manslaughter and other charges in 2008.

Bell supporters had lobbied prosecutors to charge the shooters with violating Bell's civil rights.

But the Justice Department says that it has concluded there isn't enough evidence to pursue a case.

The officers — undercover detectives investigating reports of prostitution at the club — said they opened fire because they thought one of the men in Bell's group of friends was reaching for a gun. Fifty shots were fired at Bell's car. No weapon was found.

Written by TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer

COMMENTS

Latest in news