Semenya News Conference Canceled

Caster Semenya news conference canceled.

Posted: 06/10/2010 08:29 AM EDT

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Organizers have canceled a news conference with Caster Semenya, the world 800-meter champion at the center of a gender dispute.

Semenya's advisers released a statement Thursday, hours before the planned briefing, saying the Johannesburg news conference had been called off. It did not give reasons for the cancellation.

On Wednesday, the advisers said the news conference would address the "outcomes" of the dispute over Semenya's gender verification tests.

But the International Association of Athletics Federations told The Associated Press on Thursday that the "procedure has still not been completed and must therefore remain confidential."

From Our Partners