Charles Oakley Alleges “Gang-Style Beatdown” at Vegas Casino

Charles Oakley Alleges “Gang-Style Beatdown” at Vegas Casino

Ex-NBA star files lawsuit against Aria hotel for assault by five security officers last May.

Published May 17, 2011

Charles Oakley was once known as the enforcer in the NBA, but now it sounds as though five security officers at a Las Vegas casino unleashed some unnecessary enforcement on the ex-NBA star.

 

According to an Associated Press story, Oakley filed a lawsuit last week in Clark County District Court against the Aria hotel-casino for what he calls a “gang-style beat down” by five security officers last May 2010.

 

Oakley, 47, was attending an event hosted by good friend Michael Jordan as a VIP guest of the casino. According to the report, he left the Aria’s VIP pool area May 28, but he was prevented from returning by the security.

 

A verbal confrontation ensued and eventually became physical. Oakley says he was assaulted by the five officers in a secluded part of the resort as he attempted to return to his room. The officers jumped him, and handcuffed him. Oakley later went to the hospital with injuries to his neck, back, head and wrist. He is said to have possibly suffered “permanent and disabling” injuries from the altercation.

 

During his NBA playing career from 1985-2004, Oakley played power forward for Chicago, New York, Toronto, Washington and Houston. He is now an assistant coach for Jordan’s Charlotte Bobcats.

 

 

 

(Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

Written by Terrance Harris

COMMENTS

Latest in news