Prosecutors will not press charges against Colin Kaepernick stemming from an alleged April 1 sexual assault incident involving a woman in a downtown Miami hotel, TMZ reported Thursday. The Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s office “exceptionally cleared” the San Francisco 49ers quarterback following a thorough investigation, noting that there was insufficient evidence that any crime was committed.
“As I said from day one, I would never do the things that were made up about me,” Kaepernick tweeted Thursday. “I’m glad this issue is resolved. It’s time for football.”
The other players in the room that night — 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seattle Seahawks wideout Ricardo Lockette — will not face charges either.
Investigators told TMZ that a rape kit administered to the woman found no semen in her genital area nor tears or legions around her vagina. Investigators’ report also said that the woman was behaving strangely, “banging her head against the bedroom walls and kicking uncontrollably.”
According to the report, as described by TMZ, Kaepernick and Lockette met the woman in an Atlanta nightclub in 2013, and the 49ers QB admitted to having sex with her around their first meeting. However, she faked being pregnant by him and later allegedly became obsessed by Kaepernick. Investigators even stated that Kaepernick was with another woman on the balcony of the Miami apartment that night on April 1, when the accuser stripped naked and approached them.
After nearly two and a half months of this hovering over Kaepernick’s head, the case seems to be closed now.
Earlier this month, the 49ers signed Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million extension with $61 million guaranteed. They’re hoping the 26-year-old QB can lead the squad back to the Super Bowl in 2014.
BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)