Ray McDonald Released By Niners Amid Sexual Assault Investigation

Ray McDonald Released By Niners Amid Sexual Assault Investigation

San Francisco just had enough with their troubled defensive lineman.

Published December 18, 2014

The San Francisco 49ers released troubled defensive lineman Ray McDonald on Wednesday.

McDonald, 30, being investigated in a sexual assault earlier in the day compounded with his domestic violence incident from August triggered the release. 

"This is about a pattern of poor behavior," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke told ESPN. "We expect a lot from our players, hold them accountable for their actions. If this was one incident, we would be standing up here talking about due process, like we have multiple times, in multiple other situations. But this is just a pattern of decision-making that Ray has demonstrated over a period of time that, once again, it's no longer going to be tolerated." 

San Jose Police Department sergeant Heather Randol also told ESPN that the victim in the sexual assault, allegedly involving McDonald, was seeking treatment in an area hospital and that detectives had searched the Niners defensive lineman's home in connection with the incident. 

Click here to win a trip to the Super Bowl Gospel Celebration in Phoenix, AZ, plus 4 tickets to the Big Game. 

BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Written by BET-Staff

COMMENTS

Latest in news