That November incident allegedly involving J.R. Smith and a then-New York City teenager isn't just going away.
ESPN is reporting that the Cleveland Cavaliers shooting guard has been sued for $2.5 million for physical injuries and emotional distress for allegedly attacking a man outside a New York City nightclub.
As the original story claimed, Justin Brown, who was 19 at the time, approached Smith at a pizza shop around 4 a.m. requesting a photo with the NBA guard. Brown says Smith turned down his request and a police report alleges that Brown yelled "that's why you got kicked out of New York," referring to the New York Knicks trading him to the Cavs last year. That's allegedly when Smith choked Brown, hitting him in the head and neck area as well.
Smith's lawyer dismissed the complaint as a false allegation at the time, with the Cavs guard himself tweetiing, "Don't believe everything you read!" in November.
This past Saturday night, following a Cavs' road win over the Knicks, Smith sounded ready to prove his innocence in the matter.
"No, I ain't got no comment on that," Smith said, as reported by ESPN. "It is what it is. So, we'll just see what happens."
In J.R.'s favor are the facts that he was never arrested for the incident and the Manhattan District Attorney even passed on filing charges against him in January after a two-month investigation. Sources told ESPN that there's security camera footage of the alleged incident.
That being said, Smith's lawyer is saying Brown is out for money at his client's expense and nothing else.
"If they have the audacity to file a frivolous claim against J.R., we will counterclaim for defamation and defend the suit aggressively," Alex Spiro, Smith's attorney, told ESPN. "This was a cash grab from the start."
BET Sports News — Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports, including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes.
(Photo: Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
TRENDING IN NEWS