Allyson Leak didn’t always know that she wanted to be a writer.
She was originally a broadcast journalist, but the more print journalism classes she took, the more she realized that instead of being in front of the camera, she wanted to impact the world with her words. So she switched majors, moved to New York City and embarked on a 10-year career where she has written for Hype Hair, Mommy Noire, Honey Mag, Sister 2 Sister and many others. Yet, one of her biggest feats was co-writing the self-help book The Goddess Potential: A Guide to Developing a Relationship With Your Inner Self.
The author and mother of 3-year old twins sat down with B*Real to talk about her book, the power of thinking outside the box, and her tips for success.
For Leak, The Goddess Potential is about how having a stronger relationship with oneself will also help reach your full potential. The eight-chapter book provides strategies on letting go of fear and self-doubt while being open to self-love and positivity to reach true success.
“Over the years, I realized that when I was centered and staying more in touch with my inner self, my outlook was more positive. I was more energized about my dreams and motivated to achieve them,” Leak says. She adds, “It’s a process, but it’s worth it. Remember, consistency is key!”
Here are Leak’s five tips on unlocking your true potential:
1. Don’t Be Afraid to Think Outside the Box: "Doing things the traditional way is fine. But if you are hitting roadblocks in your career, don’t be afraid to try something different. Don’t be afraid to be creative. It will be well worth it!"
2. Get a Mentor, STAT! "No matter where you are in your career, you cannot do it alone. I still have a mentor. I run ideas by her, talk about future projects and confide in her. Remember: You are never above needing a mentor. "
3. You Don’t Have to Be the HBIC: "There is this myth that to be successful, women need be an 'edgier character' and a 'mean girl,' and that just isn’t true. My success has come from being humble and helping others when I can. So be a nice girl — we tend to be a dying breed nowadays."
4. You Can Be a Mom and Still Be Successful: "It’s not always easy, but you can still be a parent and live out your dreams. I take care of my kids during the day, but will write at night or when they nap. You have to be creative with your time and have a good support system."
5. Understand the Five Senses of Creation: "My past 'failures' have taught me to approach my business differently. Now, I believe that you need to use vision boards to visualize your work, to say affirmations to empower you, hone in on the physical work that you do, network and go to events, and meditate on your failures to help you learn from them. "
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
(Photo: Allyson Leak)