While the biggest question will remain forever unanswered (i.e. why did this legendary icon have to leave us so soon?!), the main focus in the investigation surrounds the pills that were seized inside his Paisley Park estate.
As the investigation continues, new information has been released that the pills the musician took were labeled as hydrocodone but were in fact fentanyl.
As reported, the newly-surfaced revelation raises two valid possibilities. For one, the pills could have been illegally manufactured and obtained illegally or, secondly, a pharmaceutical manufacturer mislabeled the pills.
At this time, it is reported that investigators believe that Prince was unaware that the pills contained fentanyl. The medical examiner found that Prince had died on April 21 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl. At this time, no prescription for the medication has been discovered since the investigation has began and it remains unclear how he acquired the drug in the first place.
The painkiller, often prescribed to cancer patients, is 50 times more potent than heroin, up to 100 times more powerful than morphine and overall is not to be taken lightly. If a manufacturer mislabeled the pills, an urgent recall would be necessary and there would be a serious health hazard if the pills were mislabeled.
While the amount of the drug in the 57-year-old’s system has not been revealed by officials, a source close to the investigation says that the dosage was so high “it would have killed anyone.”
The investigation into his death remains ongoing.
(Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images)