Casting News: Exciting New Roles for Anthony Mackie, Djimon Hounsou

Anthony Mackie, Djimon Hounsou

Casting News: Exciting New Roles for Anthony Mackie, Djimon Hounsou

Mackie to play Jimi Hendrix opposite Thandie Newton.

Published May 19, 2014

Among the flurry of film announcements at the Cannes Film Festival this week are two projects starring some of our favorite actors. 

First, Anthony Mackie will star as Jimi Hendrix in the long-gestating biopic Jimi. The film, which has been stalled for years due to objections from Hendrix's family over the way the late music icon was portrayed, has finally cleared all hurdles and will go in front of cameras this year. Thandie Newton will co-star in the film, which will be directed by her husband Ol Parker. No word if Jimi will hit theaters before Andre Benjamin's stalled biopic Jimi Hendrix: All Is by My Side.

Meanwhile, Djimon Hounsou will battle for resources in One, a post-apocalytic thriller in which 99% of humanity has been wiped out by a virus and the remaining 1%, divided among racial lines, fight for a cure.

We'll look out for these exciting films next year.

Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Mary J. BligeMaxwellJill ScottA$AP RockyRick Ross and many more. Click here for more details and info on how to purchase tickets. is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.

Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

(Photos from Left: John Ricard / BET, Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

Written by Evelyn Diaz


Latest in news