Posted Sept. 28, 2007 - Most of us have at least one tube of red lipstick amongst the mass of neutral glosses that crowd our make-up case. We tend to pull it out when we’re feeling adventurous, although it usually doesn’t make the cut by the time you leave the house. That’s because we’ve been conditioned to think red is for special occasions or that it’s reserved for our lighter skin sisters. Nothing could be further from the truth.
:: AD ::
• Women of color tend to shy away from red lipstick out of fear that it will look cheap, cheesy or dated. When actually red lips are classic. Today’s leading celebs are still using the time honored tradition of painting their lips red before painting the town red. Remember the color red commands attention and is synonymous with words like hot, strong, and confident.
• Not sure where to start to purchase the right shade? Consider your skin tone. Light to medium skin tones look better in cool shades, like candy apple red or reds with a pink base. While medium to dark skin tones look better in warm tones such a brick red or reds with a brown or rust base.
• Red lipstick tends to bleed so be sure to line your lips with a neutral liner that matches your skin tone. Using liner to establish a border will keep your cherry tint neat and contained to your lips only. Red is so bold that if it smears beyond your lip’s edge or onto your teeth it will be very noticeable.
• Since red lips are dramatic, you should keep everything else fairly simple. Opt for more natural look on the rest of your face. Stay away from wearing red nail polish unless it’s the exact same color as your lips. And please don’t wear a bright red shirt with red lipstick. It’s usually just too much!
• If you try a red that just isn’t flattering, don’t throw it away and don’t give up. Instead try mixing the red that you have with other colors to create a custom red just for you. By adding a little pink or a dab of brown you’ll get it just right.
So, all you poised, self assured ladies … pucker up, paint those lips red and let your lips do the talking without saying a word.
TRENDING IN NEWS