Baked Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
Makes 6 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60-75 minutes
1 whole Chicken (between 3-4 lbs.)
5 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
5 dashes soy sauce, low sodium
1 tbsp. creole seasoning
1 lemon, halved
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tbsp. margarine
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp. fresh basil
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk
1. PREHEAT oven to 350F.
2. WASH chicken with cold water and pat dry.
3. STUFF the chicken cavity with 3 sprigs of rosemary, 3 sprigs of thyme, and 5 dashes of soy sauce.
4. RUB the entire chicken with Creole seasoning.
5. SQUEEZE juice of lemon directly on to chicken.
6. TUCK behind the wings 4 cloves of garlic and 2 rosemary sprigs.
7. COVER chicken with foil and puncture foil with fork in 4 to 6 places. Bake for 1 hour.
8. REMOVE foil and allow chicken to brown. Bake chicken until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
1. MELT margarine over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
2. ADD onions and garlic, and sauté approximately 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
3. ADD mushrooms, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper and sauté for an additional 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and cooked to desired texture.
4. REMOVE pan from heat and whisk in flour.
5. ADD LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk to pan, stirring constantly.
6. RETURN pan to medium heat and cook until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
7. REDUCE heat to low and simmer for an additional 2 - 3 minutes.
8. SERVE with Baked Chicken.
Nutrition Information per serving
Serving size: about 6 oz. chicken and ¼ cup gravy
Exchanges per serving
1 starch, 3 ½ lean meats
Total Calories 260
Calories from Fat 100
Total Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
Dietary Fiber 1g
TRENDING IN NEWS