Here are 10 indications that HIV/AIDS is not just a passing fancy. It is a seriously deadly disease for which there is no cure, and it's affecting Afircan Americans more than others.
Here are the numbers:
1) Blacks make up 50 percent of people diagnosed with AIDS; Whites, 30 percent; Latinos,18 percent. Other ethnicities make up 2 percent.
2) There are 38,584 people in the United States diagnosed with AIDS. Blacks represent 19,206 of those with AIDS; Whites, 11,806; Latinos, 6,970; other ethnicities, 602 of for a total of.
3) Every day 6,800 people contract HIV—283 every hour.
4) Worldwide, there are 33.2 million people with HIV, down from 39.5 million (SINCE WHEN???)
5) Black women were diagnosed at a rate almost 23 times that of White women.
6) Black men were diagnosed with the disease at a rate eight times that of White men.
7) Black men make up 43 percent of the new AIDS cases.
8) Black women are 67 percent of the new AIDS cases.
9) Black youths comprise 70 percent of the new HIV cases.
10) The more than 25 million deaths since the virus was discovered in the 1980s equal the combined population of the New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and Phoenix. At least half of those deaths were among people of color.
Source: UNAIDS, AIDS Epidemic Update, December 2007; U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
:: AD ::
TRENDING IN NEWS