Ding the bell, round two is underway. Katherine Jackson filed a "notice of intent" Monday (Dec. 2) for a retrial in the wrongful death lawsuit against concert promoter AEG Live! for the death of her son, Michael Jackson.
"[Asking for a] new trial is the first step before appeal," Jackson's lawyer, Brian Panish, told the New York Daily News.
AEG lawyers filed paperwork of their own, seeking $1.2 million from the Jackson family matriarch for the cost of the first trial.
"It is tragic that [the] plaintiffs refuse to accept the jury's verdict and move on from this baseless lawsuit," Marvin Putnam said. He's confident the court will reject her appeal.
"It is time to let these children move on from this tragedy so they can properly recover from the loss of their father," Putnam continued. "... [And] taxpayers have already spent a fortune paying for the judicial resources for a five month jury trial."
Previously, Katherine filed to overturn the judge's decision to dismiss AEG CEOs Paul Gongaware and Randy Phillips as part of the "defendants" package.
Michael Jackson died in June 2009 from an overdose of propofol while he was in reheasals for the This Is It tour, which was supposed to be his first major jaunt since 1997. Conrad Murray, his doctor at the time, was convicted in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter for administering the fatal dosage. (He claims MJ snuck and took the drugs when he wasn't looking.)
Katherine Jackson brought a billion dollar lawsuit against AEG in a trial that jumped off earlier this year, claiming they were responsible for hiring and supervising Murray and she's filed an appeal to overturn one of the judge's decisions from that trial, a decision, she said, that sealed her fate with the jury.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Pool/Getty Images)