A north Florida judge recently ruled against relocating the high-profile trial of Michael Dunn, the man accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old Jordan Davis during an argument about loud music.
First Coast News reports that a list of new motions had been filed by Dunn’s defense this week, including a motion to move the trial due to prior widespread media coverage. Duval County Judge Russell Healey said on Thursday morning that the retrial would remain in Jacksonville, but agreed to keep jurors sequestered.
In November 2012, Davis was killed when Dunn, 47, opened fire on an SUV parked in a Jacksonville gas station parking lot. Davis and three other Black teenagers had been listening to music in the vehicle, which was parked next to Dunn’s.
The loud music coming from the teens’ SUV allegedly sparked a dispute between Dunn and the teens. Dunn argues that Davis was armed and threatened his life, so he opened fire in self defense. But police did not find a weapon on the scene.
"Jordan Davis kept escalating this until the point I had no choice," Dunn said during his testimony Feb. 11. "It was life and death."
The jury deadlocked on a charge of first-degree murder for Dunn in February, but convicted him on three counts of attempted murder for firing at the three other teenagers in the SUV.
The retrial is scheduled to start Sept. 22.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Bob Mack/Pool/Reuters)