Protests Over Michael Brown Continue After Vigil Burns

FERGUSON, MO - AUGUST 19:  Demonstrators protest the killing of teenager Michael Brown on August 19, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. Brown was shot and killed by a Ferguson police officer on August 9. Despite the Brown family's continued call for peaceful demonstrations, violent protests have erupted nearly every night in Ferguson since his death.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Protests Over Michael Brown Continue After Vigil Burns

The failure of authorities to arrest officer Darren Wilson in the killing of Michael Brown is fueling continued protests.

Published September 24, 2014

The large-scale protests over the death of Michael Brown that drew international attention to Ferguson, Mo., seemed to die down some weeks ago.

Until Tuesday night, when community residents were protesting as a result of a memorial for Brown being burned earlier that day. Protesters complained that they viewed the burning as being intentional. It led to businesses being damaged and some protesters being arrested.

Nonetheless, there are protests of all kinds taking place months after the camera crews and national reporters have left Missouri.

They center on one source of discontent by many local residents: Since the death of Michael Brown, there still has been no arrest of the Ferguson police officer who shot the unarmed 18-year-old several times and killed him. In fact, the lack of an arrest of Darren Wilson, the police officer, has been the rallying cry for a number of St. Louis area residents.

In recent weeks, for example, a protest disrupted a meeting in a government office building in St. Louis County town of Clayton. They called for the arrest of Wilson as well as calling for the removal of the county prosecutor from the case.

Shortly before that, a larger demonstration occurred at the Ferguson City Council's first meeting since the death of Brown. That was followed by a couple of unsuccessful efforts to disrupt traffic along an interstate highway during rush hour. It was a demonstration that resulted in 35 arrests, and a weekend demonstration in downtown Ferguson linked to calls for a boycott of local businesses.

The teenage Michael Brown was shot Aug. 9 after a confrontation that began when Wilson asked Brown and a friend to walk on the sidewalk instead of the street. Their confrontation took quickly to the street and Brown was shot multiple times.

"The lack of an arrest of Michael Brown’s killer is the reason tensions have not settled at all," said Anthony Gray, a lawyer for the Brown family, speaking with

"You have a killer on the loose," Gray said. "Who can be comfortable knowing that there is a killer on the loose?"

Follow Jonathan Hicks on Twitter: @HicksJonathan

BET Nationall News - Your source for Black news from around the world, including international politics, health and human rights, the latest celebrity news and more. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

(Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Written by Jonathan P. Hicks


Latest in news