Ronald Johnson III, 25, was running away while cops fired shots at him on the night of Oct. 12, 2014, his family attorney says. A video of the deadly incident will be released next week, according to Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel.
The African-American Chicago man had just left a memorial service for a friend who was murdered when Johnson was confronted by police officers who jumped out of an unmarked vehicle and shot at him five times, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. He was struck twice and died.
“It’s been a long fight so far, and there’s a long way to go,” Michael Oppenheimer said, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. “They still persist in that Officer [George] Hernandez fired because Ronald Johnson turned and pointed a weapon at him and was carrying a gun. That is absolutely not true. He never turned. He never pointed and he was not carrying a gun.”
Johnson's mother wants the video released to the public because she says the footage will prove that police have been covering up their actions and have been lying about her son. Police say Johnson was part of a gang, which his family attorney says isn't true. Additionally, he believes officers planted a gun on Johnson, because their is no sight of a gun on the dashcam video.
If the dashcam video shows a conflicting narrative from police reports, it is likely that outrage will only build against Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Chicago Police Department, which is already under fire for footage of Laquan McDonald's shooting death. The 17-year-old was killed after being shot 16 times by Officer Jason Van Dyke.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
(Photo: Dorothy Holmes via AP)