UPDATE: A Second Teen Has Been Arrested In Chicago Gang Rape Case

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 25:  In this photo illustration the Social networking site Facebook is displayed on a laptop screen on March 25, 2009 in London, England. The British government has made proposals which would force Social networking websites such as Facebook to pass on details of users, friends and contacts to help fight terrorism.  (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

UPDATE: A Second Teen Has Been Arrested In Chicago Gang Rape Case

The boy, accompanied by his mother, turned himself in Monday.

Published April 2, 2017

UPDATE: A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl that was broadcast live on Facebook.

The boy, accompanied by his mother, turned himself in to police on Monday (April 3), making him the second juvenile to be arrested in the case. Police had said they had a warrant out for the teen. He was subsequently questioned by investigators.

Both teens who've been arrested face charges of aggravated criminal assault and manufacturing and dissemination of child pornography.


PREVIOUS: A Chicago teenage boy has been arrested for taking part in a group rape of a 15-year-old girl, which was streamed on Facebook Live.

The teen boy is facing aggravated criminal assault and disseminating child pornography charges. He is the first of multiple juvenile offenders from the March 19 assault on the victim, Deahvion Austin, to be charged. Authorities say more arrests are slated to follow and they’re currently trying to track down those individuals. There are reportedly as many as six that took part in the filmed attack.

Police spokesman Jose Estrada said the video shows mostly closeups of the body parts, which has made it more difficult for police to identify anyone.

Since being attacked, the young victim has been harassed via online taunts. Police are also working to keep her safe.

The afternoon of March 19 began to be out of order for the family of the victim when the teenager didn’t come home from a store in Lawndale, Chicago. After going missing, the next morning her mother saw the Facebook Live video of her daughter being assaulted. The mother then went to police and showed them the video.

At least 40 people witnessed the tragedy and no one did anything. The victim was treated at a local hospital and is now with her family at their home.

We will update this shocking and tragic story as more details are made available.

Written by Paul Meara

(Photo: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)


Latest in news


NOVEMBER 3, 2020