DeAndre Harris Turned Himself In To Charlottesville Police After Being Charged With Unlawful Wounding

NEW YORK, NY - AUGUST 14: Protesters carry posters of Heather Heyer and Deandre Harris during an anti-President Donald Trump demonstration outside of Trump Tower August 14, 2017 in New York City. Heyer was killed by an automobile driven by James Alex Fields over the weekend by in Charlottesville, Virginia and Harris was seriously beaten by right-wing extremists, also in Charlottesville, Virginia. Security throughout the area is high as President Donald Trump is expected to arrive at his residency in the tower later tonight, his first visit back to his apartment since the inauguration. (Photo by Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images)

DeAndre Harris Turned Himself In To Charlottesville Police After Being Charged With Unlawful Wounding

The 20-year-old was released on bond shortly after.

Published October 13, 2017

After a local judge issued an arrest warrant from DeAndre Harris, the Black man who was brutally beaten at the “Unite the Right” rally, the 20-year-old turned himself in to Charlottesville police on Thursday morning. 

Harris, who was filmed getting attacked by white supremacists, was charged with unlawful wounding after Harold Crews filed a report.  Harris’ lawyer, Lee Merritt, shared photos and videos of Crews’ attack to prove the charges against Harris are an attack in their own way.  

"The city of Charlottesville is allowing these same white supremacists to re-victimize my client DeAndre Harris on the word of a single extremist. His word alone, without any additional evidence, allowed for a warrant to go forward," Attorney S. Lee Merritt told CNN. 

Crews, who accused Harris of the assault, is a “southern nationalist” and chairman of North Carolina’s League of the South, according to Newsweek. Merritt shared videos submitted by Crews that he believes show someone else using a flashlight to hit Crews.

 “It’s not physically possible it could be an attack by DeAndre Harris,” Merritt told the Los Angeles Times. “It’s very upsetting. It seems the judicial system, in this case, has bent over backward to further assist in further victimizing DeAndre.”

After turning himself in, Harris was released on an unsecured bond. He is set to appear at a preliminary hearing in mid-December.

Written by Rachel Herron

(Photo: Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images)


Latest in news


NOVEMBER 3, 2020