Newly Released Audio Reveals Man Who Died In Police Custody Cried, 'I Can’t Breathe, Please,' Before Suffering A Fatal Heart Attack

Newly Released Audio Reveals Man Who Died In Police Custody Cried, 'I Can’t Breathe, Please,' Before Suffering A Fatal Heart Attack

Andrew Kearse’s wife said the officer denied him medical assistance.

Published February 15, 2018

Newly released audio from police dash-cam video reveals a man who died in Schenectady Police custody last year was begging for medical attention. 

In May 2017, Andrew Kearse was arrested in Schenectady, New York, for fleeing from a traffic stop. While he was being transported to the Schenectady Police station, he began pleading for his life.

Kearse’s wife, Angelique Negroni-Kearse, recorded the audio when the Attorney General’s Office showed her the dash-cam video last month, according to News10 ABC.

Negroni-Kearse then sent the recording to Buzzfeed News.

In the nine-minute clip, the 36-year-old can be heard telling officers he was in distress.

“I can’t breathe, please,” Kearse told an officer in the car.

In the audio recording, Negroni-Kearse can be heard reacting to the painful images of her husband suffering.  

“He’s in pain, look you see his face? His eyes?” Negroni-Kearse said.

Kearse can be heard breathing heavily and eventually he says, “medic.”

“Is it hot? Probably shouldn’t run then, son,” the officer responded.

Kearse then repeatedly begs for medical attention and said, “Please.”

“What do you want?” the officer asked Kearse.

“Please come here,” Kearse requested.

“No what?” the officer responded.

“I really feel like I’m gonna throw up,” Kearse said.

“Don’t throw up in my car,” the officer responded.

Negroni-Kearse said the video continues until her husband suffers a heart attack and died just moments before the vehicle arrived at the police department. At the end, an officer leaned over the police cruiser crying. She said the officer never offered Kearse any medical assistance.

“Do your job. You didn’t protect nor did you serve,” Negroni-Kearse said of the officer while speaking with News10 ABC.

Negroni-Kearse’s attorney said they will be making a decision on whether the case surrounding Kearse’s death will be brought to a grand jury soon.

The Attorney General’s Office released the following statement to News10 ABC regarding the investigation:

“Our investigation into Mr. Kearse’s death is ongoing and has involved a series of investigative steps including extensive medical testing and analysis (including by an independent cardiologist), interviews with multiple witnesses, and audio and video enhancement. As in all cases investigated by our Special Investigations and Prosecutions Unit, we are committed to conducting an independent, comprehensive, and fair investigation to provide Mr. Kearse’s family and the community with the answers they deserve.”

Written by Rachel Herron

(Photo: News10 ABC)


Latest in news