Woman's Horrific 'Microblading' Experience Led To A Costly Infection And Three Days In The Hospital

Woman's Horrific 'Microblading' Experience Led To A Costly Infection And Three Days In The Hospital

At first "Jennifer" was happy with her results, then came redness, pain, and swelling.

Published May 7, 2018

While the obsession with having eyebrows on fleek continues to grow, so does the number of procedures to create the perfect look. However, on trend known as "microblading" may be less sought out after one woman detailed how she was hospitalized after going under the needle.

The Detroit woman, who is going by “Jennifer,” said it all started when she went to a local salon to get microblading. When she first finished the procedure, she thought everything went according to plan, reported WDIV-TV Local 4.

"It looked great," she told the local news station. "I was happy."

Jennifer, like many other women, had the procedure which uses tiny needles to make shallow cuts on the skin. The cuts allow the pigment to seeps in to the skin and create semi-permanent results eyebrows.

"Basically, it gives the appearance of hair on your eyebrows instead of regular tattooing," she said. "This makes your eyebrows look like you actually have hair."

Soon after Jennifer got her new brows, she noticed the skin above her eyes grew increasingly red.

"Each day got a little more red, but I wasn't really too concerned," she said. "So, like, a few days after I noticed, they were starting to get, like, little lumps in it."

Then came the pain and swelling.

"Going to urgent care, they diagnosed me with cellulitis on my face, gave me antibiotic and sent me on my way," she said.

Even though she was given medication, Jennifer’s situation grew worse. Eventually, she made the decision to go to the emergency room. 

"When they admitted me, they put me on an IV bag antibiotic and then, the next morning, they started me on steroids for the remainder of the time I was there," she said.

Jennifer remained in the hospital for three days.

"I was terrified," she said. "I didn't know. My face is swelling up. My eyes are closing. I'm thinking, 'I don't know what's going to happen.'"

Now, Jennifer sees a dermatologist named Dr. Stephen Grekin for treatment.

"This is potentially life-threatening if not treated because what's right behind here -- sinuses," Grekin said. "What do the sinuses communicate? Boom: they go right to the brain."

Although there’s no definitive reason why Jennifer contracted the infection, she is not expected to suffer long-term.

Grekin says anyone else looking to have the procedure should make sure to do their research.

"I think it's buyer beware," Grekin said. "I think you have to do your research. I think you have to have multiple visits to make certain that you're comfortable that the place is clean, it's efficiently run, that this is not taken as sort of a cavalier, 'come in and get your eyebrows waxed.'"

Written by Rachel Herron

(Photo: WDIV-TV Local 4)

COMMENTS

Latest in news

TYLER PERRY'S THE OVAL & SISTAS

OCTOBER 23 9/8C

PREMIERE

AIRS
0

days

00HRS
00MIN
00SEC