While waiting tables at a Longhorn restaurant in South Carolina, a server named Brooke Shugart experienced her worst fear, a customer choking on a piece of food.
“I was like, ‘Oh my goodness, what am I going to do?’” Shugart told 13WMAZ.
As the woman choked on a piece of steak, Shugart tried to call for help. However, when she looked back to the choking woman, she saw Valencia Jones, a nurse at Navicent Health, had sprung into action.
“She yanked her right on up and she was OK,” Shugart told the local news station. “It was a blessing from God that she was there. It was just meant to be.”
Jones was off-duty at the time and had never actually performed the Heimlich maneuver before. Despite her lack of experience, she was still fortunate enough to have been professionally trained to perform CPR.
“We ended up in that booth at that moment for a purpose. I feel like it was all God,” Jones told WMAZ.
Jentre Reed, who was also present, described Jones as a hero.
“I don’t think she realized how amazing her actions were. She moved so quickly [and] she didn’t think twice,” Reed told reporters.
Now, Jones is advocating for more people to learn CPR in case they witness a similar situation.
“Just go through that training. It doesn’t have to be a hard course,” Jones said.
TRENDING IN NEWS