Posted Nov. 5, 2008 – In Atlanta, the death of a 92-year-old woman at the hand of police has sparked yet another investigation.
:: AD ::
While the federal probe is over and three former Atlanta police officers are serving time for crimes stemming from the botched drug raid that led to the Kathryn Johnston's death in November 2006, Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington is creating a special task force to find out whether any other officers violated police procedures related to the drug raid that resulted in Johnston's death, the chief said in a statement Tuesday.
"Following this task force's investigation, it will make recommendations directly to me as to any administrative action which should be taken against any other members of this department," Pennington wrote.
The announcement came the day after the FBI turned over a report to the Police Department — the contents of where not made public, reports The Atlanta-Constitution. Pennington said in his statement that no other federal charges are anticipated, but federal authorities did indicate last week that the report was going to address other issues.
Johnston died when policed barged into her home with guns blazing as part of a drug raid at the wrong address. They shot her as she brandished her own gun, possibly thinking she was being robbed. U.S. Attorney David Nahmias said it would make recommendations that could lead to state prosecutions or administrative discipline for other officers who played a role in the raid.