Four Arrested in Beating Death of Chicago Student

Four Arrested in Beating Death of Chicago Student

Published September 29, 2009

In a videotaped confession, a 19-year-old Chicago man admitted that he pounced on the head of a high school honor student who lay on the ground during a melee that erupted between two rival groups, CNN reports.

Derrion Alberts's Brutal Death: More Details and Video

The confessor, Sivanus Shannon said, too, that Derrion Albert never hit him. He was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time when the street fight escalated from a spat between two factions of students at Christian Fenger Academy High School on Chicago’s South Side, a spokeswoman from the Cook County State’s Attorneys Office said.

So far, authorities have arrested four teens in Albert's death. In addition to Shannon, the following suspects were taken into custody: Eric Carson, 16; and Eugene Riley, 18, who can be seen on the videotape attacking Albert; and 17-year-old Eugene Bailey. They were all charged with first-degree murder and held without bail, the spokeswoman said.

Derrion Albert was an "innocent bystander," prosecutors said. School let out at 2:50 p.m. on Thursday, and Albert was walking to the bus stop when two groups of students confronted each other on the street, according to the state’s attorney. They began fighting after a “gang-related” shooting earlier that day, police said.

Carson and an unknown person approached Albert, the prosecutors say. “Carson struck Albert in the head with a long wooden railroad tie, and the second person punched him in the face,” CNN reports. “Albert was knocked unconscious by the blows for a short period … but gained consciousness and quickly tried to move from the escalating street fight.”

An amateur videotape shot by a witness, which has been broadcast nationally, showed the attack unfolding. A local TV station that received the tape turned it over to police. The video shows that, as the attackers ran away, the person with the camera and several others approached Albert and carried him into a nearby building.

"Derrion, get up!" a female voice pleads on the video.

Albert was taken to Roseland Community Hospital and then to Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Simonton said.

Written by <P>By Staff</P>


Latest in news