The messy Donald Sterling ordeal seems to finally be over.
Earlier this week, when Sterling said that he was ready to “move on” following the $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers, it still wasn’t clear if the banned owner was going to fight the NBA on the sale of the franchise.
Now ESPN Los Angeles’s Ramona Shelburne reported early Thursday morning that Sterling has not only approved his wife Shelly’s $2 billion sale of the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, but that the shamed owner will not be pursing any further legal action related to the transaction. Sterling’s lawyer, Max Blecher, confirmed in an email to Shelburne that his client won’t be filing a lawsuit against the NBA.
This news comes as a 180-degree turn from Sterling and his lawyer's warning last week that he “is going to fight to the bloody end” and that he has “disavowed” the agreement with his wife from two weeks ago that would allow her to negotiate the sale of the Clippers. They then followed that by announcing they were suing the NBA for $1 billion in damages Friday — even naming league commissioner Adam Silver as a defendant in the lawsuit — but have withdrawn that suit.
Something definitely changed from Friday to Tuesday night, when Sterling told NBC that he was ready to “move on.”
"I feel fabulous, I feel very good," Sterling told NBC. "Everything is just the way it should be, really. It may have worked out differently, but it's good. It's all good."
Silver was right on target, saying he planned to remove Sterling “expeditiously.” The Shelly Sterling-Ballmer negotiation and sale was completed on May 29, exactly one month after Silver slapped a lifetime ban on Sterling for making racist remarks against African-Americans.
BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)
TRENDING IN NEWS