Aaron Hernandez’s attorneys believe that charges in one of the murder cases against him should be dismissed.
On Monday, during a pretrial hearing, lawyers for the former New England Patriots star tight end challenged the evidence in the Odin Lloyd murder case, arguing that prosecutors have not established probable cause in the semi-pro football player’s killing.
As reported by the Associated Press, defense attorney James Sultan said the prosecution has enough to prove Hernandez was with Lloyd the June 2013 night he was killed, but he argued that does not make Hernandez guilty.
"You can't throw a bunch of stuff at the wall. That's not probable cause," Sultan said.
Prosecutors countered that their evidence includes many text messages and phone calls among those involved and that Lloyd’s body was found 1,000 yards from Hernandez’s North Attelborough home.
During Monday’s court hearing, Hernandez also plead not guilty to charges that he attacked a handcuffed inmate and threatened to kill a prison guard and his family in February while at a county jail in Dartmouth, Massachusetts.
In addition to the Lloyd murder case, Hernandez was also indicted last month in the double murder of two Boston men inside an SUV in 2012. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty in each case and has been held in jail since late June 2013 without bail.
BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: AP Photo/Faith Ninivaggi, Pool)