Is it just a strange coincidence that intensified reports of the existence of a possibly damaging video tape against Dez Bryant are happening at the same time as he's looking for a long-term contract? Or is someone out to get the Dallas Cowboys' star wide receiver?
A rep for Bryant's mother, Angela Bryant, who had a domestic violence incident with her son in 2012, seems to think the latter.
"Ever since the 2012 incident, they have worked out their issues and they've got a lot of love for each other," the rep told TMZ Sports on Thursday. "Angela and her son have a great relationship and whoever is behind this is using [Dez's past in an] attempt to assassinate Dez's character. It comes down to someone trying to interfere with Dez getting his contract extended from the Cowboys."
Whether or not this allegedly looming video has an affect on Bryant's contract negotiations remain to be seen, but the Cowboys — now more than ever — are reportedly leaning toward giving their star wideout with a franchise tag that will pay him roughly $13 million this 2015 season and, more important, keep him off the free-agency market, where he would certainly earn more with a long-term deal.
TMZ Sports, as well as fans, continue to wonder what the alleged footage of Bryant shows. The website already pointed to a 2011 report, where Bryant was questioned by Texas police, but not arrested, over an incident in which a woman was pulled out of her vehicle by a man in a Walmart parking lot. The victim was listed as Ilyne Nash, who is the mother of two of Bryant's children.
Another possibility could be the domestic violence incident between Bryant and his mother in 2012, when Angela Bryant told police that her son grabbed her, hit her with his baseball cap and tore her shirt along with allegedly telling her that he was going to "knock her out," TMZ Sports reported. But the two have been on good terms since.
"[Dez and Angela] don't know who's behind it," the rep added. "They are desperately trying to find out."
Bryant himself has been subliminally tweeting about the situation and alleged footage against him.
"I need to get me a real raw uncut tv show or something...I can't continue to get betrayed like this," Bryant tweeted Wednesday before deleting the message.
The message comes after Bryant tweeted a cryptic statement which also could be related to the alleged video last week.
"Just quit with the b.s....It’s clear as day what's going on… I might need to do a exclusive interview about my life these past 5 years since the world is destined to know," Bryant said. "I use to let people take advantage of my life now that I’m no longer allowing that to happen it seems to be a problem…I’m not ashamed of none of my past incidents because that’s what made me who I am today."
Bryant, 26, is coming off his best NFL season, hauling in 16 touchdown receptions and leading the league for wide receivers.
BET Sports News — Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)