FINDING JUSTICE AWARD PROGRAM
By submitting your application, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Entry Period: The “Finding Justice Award Program” (the “Opportunity”) commences at 11:00AM Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on March 11, 2019 and ends 5:00PM (EST) on April 15, 2019 (the "Entry Period").
2. Sponsor/Administrator: The Opportunity is sponsored and administered by Black Entertainment Television LLC (“Sponsor”), 1540 Broadway, New York, NY 10036.
3. Eligibility: The Opportunity is open to non-partisan, non-profit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and residents of/organized in the fifty (50) United States. No purchase necessary to enter. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees, officers, and directors of Black Entertainment Television LLC (“Sponsor”) and its respective parent(s), affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, and advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfillment, and marketing agencies (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”), and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings and children, regardless of where they live) and those living in the same household (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate/enter By participating in the Opportunity, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by the Sponsor, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final in all matters relating to this Opportunity; (b) to release and hold harmless Sponsor against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in the Opportunity and/or use or misuse or redemption of an Award (hereinafter defined); and (c) represent and warrant that such entrants shall comply with these Official Rules.
ONLY AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL AND REPRESENTATIVES OF AN ELIGIBLE ORGANIZATION MAY SUBMIT AN ENTRY/APPLICATION ON BEHALF OF SUCH ORGANIZATION. BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY/APPLICATION, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AUTHORIZED BY THE ORGANIZATION TO DO SO ON ITS BEHALF.
4. To Enter: During the Entry Period, visit www.bet.com/findingjusticegrants (the “Website”) and fully and accurately complete the online application (the “Application”), which includes, without limitation, answering questions set forth on the Application and providing the name and address of the organization, and an email address. Follow the instructions to complete the Application and submit as instructed during the Entry Period.
LIMIT: One (1) Application/entry and one (1) Award per eligible organization permitted.
Each Application must contain solely the entrant's original ideas and language. Each Application should also include the organization’s full legal name, the name of an authorized representative/contact of the organization (the “Designated Organization or entrant”), required contact information, and other required information. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
Incomplete and/or late Applications will be disqualified. Applications that are illegible, incomplete or contain information other than as requested will not be accepted. No responsibility is assumed for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Opportunity or by any human error which may occur in the processing of entries into this Opportunity. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, delayed, mutilated, illegible or misdirected entries or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion or the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Opportunity. If, for any reason, the Opportunity is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Opportunity or for any reason Sponsor deems it necessary, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, delay or suspend the Opportunity due to any reason of a technical, creative or other nature. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. By participating in this Opportunity, entrants acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
5. Grant of Rights: Participants hereby grant Sponsor a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to sell, broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the materials submitted, and any likeness of it in all media now known and later coming into being for purposes of trade or advertising without compensation or attribution. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured from any participants in, and contributors to, their submission in order to grant such a license.
6. Judging Panel: The judging panel will be comprised of representatives of Sponsor (the “Judges”). Please note: Sponsor reserves the right to conduct phone interviews with some or all of the entrants in order to clarify any information submitted on an Application.
7. Judging Criteria: Judges will select five (5) entrants from all the received based on which Applications, in the Judges’ subjective opinion, most effectively present a framework and plan for a how an Award and the entrants’ work will help to promote social justice. The selected Designated Organizations shall each be deemed to be a potential recipient of an Award. Selection of potential Award recipients and application of the judging criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges and Sponsor, and their decisions relating to this Opportunity are final. To the extent permitted by law, Sponsor disclaims any liability from, and applicants (whether or not selected as potential Award recipients) agree to waive, any claims against Sponsor or Judges relating to the judging or awarding process. Sponsor maintains the right to evaluate, and if deemed necessary eliminate, each submission before allowing it to be considered among the entries.
8. Award Recipients Verification: Potential Award recipients, as a condition of receiving Award an, must have an authorized representative sign (a) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release releasing Sponsor and each of their respective corporate parents, subsidiaries, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Opportunity or the use or acceptance of an Award; (b) except where prohibited, a promotional release granting the right to use their names and likenesses for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation and (c) additional legal documentation furnished by Sponsor confirming the Potential Award recipient’s acceptance of these Official Rules and the conditions of participation in this Opportunity. Entry into this Opportunity constitutes all each potential Award recipient’s agreement to sign such releases. Potential Award recipients must also complete any additional legal documents provided by Sponsors and return them as instructed and in timeframe requested by Sponsor. Noncompliance by any participant may result in such participant's disqualification.
9. Award: Up to five (5) Award recipients will each receive up to $20,000 (“Award”) for costs relating to their social justice projects. Each Award will be payable directly to the Designated Organization associated with the winning entry/Application or an alternate Designated Organization approved by Sponsor. No Award will be made directly to an individual. Designated Organizations selected to receive Awards are subject to the review and approval of Sponsor as a condition of receiving any Award, pursuant to Sponsor’s corporate policies concerning charitable donations. Any federal and state taxes on the Award are the sole responsibility of the Award recipients. No substitution or transfer of Award monies permitted, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
The exact number of Award recipients awarded and the exact amount and manner of disbursement of each Award will be solely determined by the Sponsor based on the quantity and quality of Applications/entries received for this Opportunity. Sponsor reserves the right to, in its sole discretion, award fewer than five (5) Awards and/or Award less than $20,000 for any particular Award.
Each Award will be fulfilled within four (4) to five (5) months after the date the applicable Award recipient is notified, subject to change in Sponsor’s sole discretion, and receipt of an Award by any Award recipient is subject to the following conditions: (1) Award recipients must sign all required legal documents provided by Sponsor and (2) the money awarded must be applied to cover only the expenses of non-partisan efforts/projects described in Winners’ winning Applications/entries. Award recipients further agree to be bound by the guidelines and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final with respect to all matters of this Opportunity.
10. Sponsor-Produced Programming: Sponsor may, at, its option, produce film/video of the Winners in connection with this Opportunity and/or ancillary material captured during or relating to the Award fulfillment events. Winners hereby consent to participate in the foregoing activities, as reasonably requested by Sponsor. All film/video/photo/audio/written material and programming created by Sponsor will be referred to as “Programming”. Sponsor shall be the exclusive owner of the copyright and other rights in and to the Programming. Sponsor, its subsidiaries, affiliates, affiliated broadcast stations and networks and licensees will be able to use the Programming forever and throughout the world, and to license others to use it, in any manner Sponsor wishes and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered or developed without notice, including for advertising, promoting and publicizing any of its products or services, such use may include portions and excerpts, in addition to cut in synchronized, dubbed and superimposed versions of the Programming. By participating in the foregoing activities/events, each participating entrant acknowledges that Sponsor may use the Programming in accordance with the permission granted herein without any compensation, royalty, payment, liability or obligation to the entrant or any third party. Sponsor is under no obligation to broadcast or otherwise exploit the Programming.
11. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A PARTICIPANT OR AWARD RECIPIENT OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A PARTICIPANT OR AWARD RECIPIENT THAT WILL BRING SUCH AWARD RECIPIENT OR SPONSOR ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (IN SPONSOR ENTITIES’ SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH AWARD RECIPIENT’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A PARTICIPANT/AWARD RECIPIENT OF THE OPPORTUNITY AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A POTENTIAL AWARD RECIPIENT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
The Sponsor Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Opportunity or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Opportunity. The Sponsor Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Opportunity. The Sponsor Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of this Opportunity, errors in processing entries, identifying the Award recipients or in the announcement of the Award recipients. If, for any reason, this Opportunity is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, changes in Sponsor’s on-air programming, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Opportunity, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Opportunity. Should this Opportunity be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Website during the Entry Period and each Award may be awarded to recipients to be selected from among all eligible entries received up until and, or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsor. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions by Sponsor are final. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entries are permitted. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual they suspect or find (a) to have used a software generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entry, (b) to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Opportunity, (c) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, (d) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person or (e) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Opportunity. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS OPPORTUNITY IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR ENTITIES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THIS OPPORTUNITY AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL GOVERN THIS OPPORTUNITY. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor Entities from any and all liability resulting or arising from this Opportunity, to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Sponsor Entities, and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any Award.
All entrants into this Opportunity are solely responsible for consulting with qualified professionals and investigating, understanding and complying with any and all federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations and ordinances which may apply to entrants and the activities and/or business in which such entrants may engage. There may be tax consequences associated with the receipt of an Award that an organization may receive and with any income received by Award recipients, which may include, without limitation, an obligation to report as income and to pay taxes on such funds/income to federal, state and/or local authorities. It is up to the Award recipients and the participant's in such Award recipients' project to determine the tax consequences of such funds/income, and to comply with all applicable laws in all respects, if applicable.
12. For inquiries related to the Opportunity or the names of the Award recipients, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Black Entertainment Television LLC
Attention: Finding Justice Award Program
New York, NY 10036
Please note on the front left hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “Official Rules” or the names of the Award recipients. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules. All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and for the names of the Award recipients must be made by June 15, 2019.
Copyright ©2019 Black Entertainment Television LLC. All trademarks and logos used herein are trademarks of Black Entertainment Television LLC or their respective owners. All rights reserved.