Last week we got a sneak peek at the illustrious iPhone 7, which is available for purchase tomorrow. But anyone that didn't pre-order it, or who has no desire to be camped out to get one, you can download the new operating system and enjoy some of the iPhone 7 features on your lousy 6. Before all those notifications get to you and you upgrade to iOS 10, let us lay out the pros and the cons.
So…What Is iOS 10?
Simple: iOS 10 is one of Apple’s biggest upgrades in years. Anyone that has an iPhone 5 or later, iPad 2 or later, iPad mini 2 or later, iPad Pro range and the sixth generation iPod touch or later can download it, Forbes points out. Depending on your device, it can take up anywhere between 600MB and 1.2GB of space.
OK, But Why Should I Upgrade?
For starters, there’s a gang of dope new features. According to CNET.com:
· Messages is a lot more like Facebook Messenger.
· You can FINALLY delete the default Apple Apps such as Maps, Stocks and Mail.
· The new notification style makes it so you don't have to unlock your phone to see information.
· The widgets section is no longer on the bottom row on the home screen and now can be accessed in locked mode.
· Siri is more advanced. It can send WhatsApp messages, initiate Skype calls, request an Uber taxi, etc.
· Memories automatically organizes your photos for you, Google Photos-style.
· You can view two Safari tabs at once. Yay!
· The Bedtime button on the Clock app lets you set a time to wake up and the number of hours of sleep you'd like to get.
· Oh, and there are 23 hidden features you can access here.
So What Are the Cons?
So with everything in this world — especially upgrades — there are going to be some glitches. According to The Verge, on Tuesday afternoon some users complained that moving over to iOS 10 has caused major problems, such as the update process failing with an error message asking users to plug their iOS device into a PC or Mac (if that’s happened to you, go here for troubleshooting).
But be easy. Apple said in a statement, “We experienced a brief issue with the software update process affecting a small number of users during the first hour of availability. The problem was quickly resolved and we apologize to those customers.” Translation: It’s safe to download.
Given that things seem to be working fine for most users, there isn’t a real reason not to upgrade. Personally, we just want a whole new phone but we will settle for some fun new texting sounds for now.
(Photo: Hero Images/Getty Images)
For the past 10 years, Yusef has been dictating all of the beauty trends we emulate via his most famous client, none other than Rihanna. He started out his career as a performer, but he ended up behind the scenes. In Hairstory, he details his rise in the industry from aspiring singer to creative directing the hair for Fenty x Puma.